A recent study showed that people watch an average of 16 hours of online videos per week and 84% of consumers say they have been convinced to purchase a product or service as a result of watching a video. As video becomes increasingly more important online and on social media, you should be aware of the best practices for shooting good video particularly for Facebook and Instagram.
Tips for Effective Videos
1. Know your video specifications for each platform. Facebook videos are the most common and can be shot in portrait or landscape and should be saved as .mp4 or .mov files. Instagram’s in-feed videos can be landscape, portrait or square and should also be saved as .mp4 or .mov files. Keep in mind that most videos are shot vertically and it’s often easier to keep this format.
2. Ensure you have the right environment. Are you shooting indoors our outside? What possible interruptions could occur in those locations? For instance, if you shoot outside, will the traffic be too loud? If you are indoors, will a phone ring? Determine if ambient noise or movement will be too distracting.
3. Lighting is key! You can choose natural light, just make sure you don’t have too much light behind you or the person in the video will be too dark to see. Indoor lighting may need the boost of the ring light to remove shadows from faces that is cast from overhead lighting. Ring lights are fairly inexpensive and often include a tripod.
3. Speaking of tripods…your videos will look more professional if you use a tripod. Depending on the feel you are going for in your video, investing in a small tripod is wise. You can also brace your phone against another object if a tripod isn’t available or wouldn’t provide the best angle.
4. Quality audio Is key. Block wind if you are shooting outside. Investing in a microphone is also a good idea. You can find good options on Amazon or at any electronics store. Make sure your microphone is compatible with your phone—you may need to purchase an adapter.
5. Don’t be afraid of shooting your video from different angles. If you have a product you are highlighting, use props to make the background more interesting. Be creative!
6. If you are shooting video for Instagram be sure to take advantage of their filters or GIFs to enhance the look of the video.
Videos, Social Media Management & More
If you need assistance with videography or social media management, contact Baseline Creative! We have experienced videographers and a digital marketing team that can help you reach your business goals.